The most important part of the project after the vision is getting everything on paper. The plans must include all the details of everything you are doing so it can not only be built properly, but bid before you do the process.
The 5 main reasons you need plans are:
1. Without Plans There Is No Project: There are a lot of homeowners that go forward without plans because they think they can see what it looks like at the moment and maybe understand what they like. The problem is if you don’t look at the overall plan how everything affects everything else, you may make mistakes without proper planning.
2. Plans Create The Scope Of Work: The plans are how the scope of work is generated. That same scope of work is what generates the bid. The plans provide purpose for the project and without the plans there is no order to the project.
3. Plans Are How The Costs Are Generated: The plans determine the design and direction of the project. In order to bid the job, the contractor and all of their subs must have plans to bid from. These plans provide all of the specifications for materials and labor and how much everything is going to cost.
4. Plans Are The Guideline To Work From: Whatever is changed during the job or after the start date, everyone must be made aware of what the change is. These changes need to be reflected on the plans. If they are not, the job is not being done properly or professionally. At the end of the job, the plans must reflect everything that has been done. And everything that has been done must be inspected at the end of the job. If any of these steps are missed that’s a red flag.
5. Change Orders: Change orders are documentation or changes of work that are also reflected on the plans. The changes are demonstrated on the plans and through photographs typically. What’s happening in the field must always be documented on the plans.